Hilarious story today about the typical computer-driven lunacy that is Facebook. Well known for suspending accounts willy nilly with no human involvement or appeal, the internet giant has now surpassed even its own previous levels of annoying behaviour.
As it seems every news outlet on the planet has reported, Facebook user has told how he was banned from the site for saying: “I like faggots.”
Food lover Robert Wilkes, 54, was recalling his fondness for a classic English dish from his childhood.
Faggots are meatballs traditionally hand-made with offal by butchers and served with mashed spuds and peas. (And onion gravy – see recipe below – Ed.)
Wilkes says he was bewildered when his Facebook account was shut for 12 hours for using “homophobic language”.
Ah, but of course. In the interconnected world we live in, cultural imperialism rules. In the United States, the word “faggot” is offensive slang for homosexual.
Wilkes, a former Ministry of Defence guard who grew up in the West Midlands, told The Sun newspaper: “It may have a different meaning in America but I used it in a food context. Facebook allows beheading videos, cruelty to animals, stabbing and terrible swear words – but not this. It’s political correctness gone mad.”
We can only agree. Especially as the same annoyance happened to Eileen Perkins, 68, when she discussed her favourite dish on the user-unfriendly website.
Meanwhile, in case you are moved to try the aforementioned delicacy (and we strongly recommend it) here’s a good recipe we found.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 4 oz/110g pork shoulder, roughly chopped
- 4 oz/ 110g pig’s iiver, roughly chopped
- 8 oz/250g fatty belly pork, roughly choppped
- 4 oz/110g bacon scraps
- 4 oz/ 110g bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp mace
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small red chili, de-seeded and finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- Caul fat* or streaky bacon
Pre-heat the oven to 445°F/170°C/Gas 3
- Mince all the roughly chopped meats, if you don’t have a mincer, then chop in a food processor.
- Place the minced meat into a large bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, onion, herbs, spices and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Divide the mixture into 8 and shape into balls.
- Wrap each ball in caul or streaky bacon. Make sure the caul or bacon overlaps as it will seal as it cooks and hold the faggots together.
- Place the faggots onto a baking sheet and bake in the hot oven for 50 – 60 minutes.
What to Serve with Faggots
*Caul is the membrane which holds in animal organs and it makes a good container for the faggots. If you can’t get caul, then use strips of streaky bacon. One small change we would make to the recipe, we’d lose the chilli and add extra pepper. White, if you can still find it. The taste will be more traditional.