Wellthisiswhatithink has a grand an honourable tradition of share trading. It goes something like this:
- Get a share tip from a mate who has 73 irrefutable reasons why it’s brilliant. (Note: NOT inside knowledge, thank you.)
- Ask a few people who should know if it’s a good idea. Get a series of “on the one hand this, on the other hand that” type answers that mean nothing.
- Scrape together every piggy bank in the house and invest what to anyone else would be considered a paltry sum, but which is to Mrs Wellthisiswehatithink is her “we will get a holiday this year” fund.
- Watch the shares instantly enter terminal decline, accompanied by “we don’t think this should be happening bleating from the Board of said dead duck.
- Watch the Board issue more and more shares to try and stay afloat, eventually reducing my holding to the value of a packet of Dunhill and a small beer.
- Give up.
However, there are those in the world who claim to be able to forecast likely winners with some certainty, and for those of you who dabble, I provide a small selection here.
Personally, I am buying a racehorse. At least that’s fun.