Hot off the press, given the launch today of the new phone. Having trawled around, I think this is everything you could want to know, at least the basics. Thanks to Yahoo, Fairfax and others.
Apple has unveiled the iPhone 5, saying it is thinner and lighter than the previous model, even though it has a bigger screen. Australians will be able to buy one next Friday.
The iPhone 5 comes in either white and silver or black and slate and will be sold in Australia for $799 for the 16GB model, $899 for the 32GB model and $999 for the 64GB model. Apple said customers could pre-order from this Friday.
Meanwhile, the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 have been reduced in Australia to $679 and $449, respectively. The iPhone 5’s new operating system, iOS 6, will be available to download on older models on September 19.
Apple confirmed the new phone will work on 4G networks in Australia including those of Telstra, Optus and Virgin Mobile. Given the very expensive hoohah over the iPhone 4S, we presume that’s true.
Most annoyingly for some, with the new model, Apple is ditching the connection port it has used for iPods, iPhones and iPads for nearly a decade in favour of a smaller, narrower one. That means Apple is still the holdout in an industry in which other manufacturers have settled on a standard connector for charging and computer backups.
A separate $35 adapter will be available so that the new phone will be able to connect to sound docks and other accessories designed for the old phones.
The front-facing camera is getting an upgrade to high-definition, letting users take advantage of the faster data networks for videoconferencing.
Apple is also updating its iTunes software for the Mac and PC, with what is says is a “dramatically simpler and cleaner interface”. It will be available as a free download in October.
SNAPSHOT OF FEATURES
– Made of glass and aluminium
– 18% thinner and 20% lighter
– 4 inch display- screen is now longer, width is the same
– 44% more colour saturation
– Touch screen sensor integrated into new display
– LTE compatability allowing downloads of 100 megabits per second
– higher performing WiFi
– Two times faster processing speed
– Two times faster graphics
– New camera – 8 megapixel sensor, backside illumination, f/24 aperture
– Camera is 25% smaller
– 1080p HD video capability
– New mode for taking photos in low light
– Sapphire crystal lens cover to better protect the lens
– New panorama photo feature
– three microphones instead of two
– 20% smaller speakers
– New iPhone cord connector – called ‘Lightning’ – more durable
– Siri enhancements
– Available in black, silver and white
– Battery life is 8 hours via LTE or 3G, 10 hours over WiFi
– Redesigned headphones called EarPods
- Apple iPhone 5 is the radical makeover that Apple fans needed (news.consumerreports.org)
- The New iPhones are here! (but do they have 4G?) (beanstalk-inc.com)
- The iPhone 5 Is The Most Disappointing iPhone Ever (manolith.com)